Background, in gastronomic slang, is what we call: broths. This concentrate that is obtained from a slow and continuous cooking of bones, meat or vegetables. Enhances the flavor, aroma and texture of soups, creams and sauces.
Learning to prepare broths or base stocks.
The main funds are classified as: dark, white, bound and fumet.
Dark background: It is prepared with toasted or golden ingredients, thus obtaining its tone. It is used to prepare sauces or to season meat.
- To prepare it, wash some bones of any type and vegetables (celery, onion, carrot).
- Spread oil in a baking dish and place the bones.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, put the baking dish in and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take it out and cut the vegetables into large pieces and add them to the bones, bake another 20 minutes.
- Check that the bones are browned, then pour all the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Degrease the baking dish with hot water and pour it into the saucepan to take advantage of all the flavor of the bones.
- Add tomato puree, pepper, salt, garlic and cloves. Cover the ingredients with water and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- The cooking time is approximately three hours.
- Another way to do it is to fry meat over low heat, when it begins to brown add the rest of the ingredients and continue with the previous procedure.
White background: It is used for sauces in which poultry, beef or rice is cooked.
- Prepare it as follows: wash meat or bones and place them in a pot with water, when it starts to boil remove the foam that is generated.
- Add the vegetables (celery, onions, and carrots) and spices (garlic, salt, pepper, and cloves).
- Cook over low heat until the liquid is reduced by half, the cooking time will be from one to three hours depending on the meat you use.
Linked fund: It is made from dark or white, to which wheat or corn flour is added.
- To make it, heat the bottom you want to thicken, extract 500 milliliters and mix them with 30 grams of flour until it dissolves.
- Add it to the rest of the bottom and simmer until it thickens.
Fumet: It is used to make soups, creams or dishes with fish or shellfish. It is obtained from a slow cooking of fish bones and heads.
- To do so, wash them, put them to sew together with the vegetables (leek, celery and carrot) cut into cubes, add white wine and boil for 30 minutes.
The last step for any of the funds is to strain it and remove the fat from the surface.
Refrigerate them, to keep them for 5 or 6 days, you can also freeze them and thus their duration will be up to a year.