Looking for a delicious and healthy dinner? Then you should try this delicious recipe from chicken and sweet potato curry, which has all the flavor of homemade korma pasta.
When it comes to eating healthy, I'm not exactly an example. Ask my family and friends and they will all tell you that despite my best intentions, I usually end up eating a huge slice (or two) of cake to go with a cup of coffee.
I try to make up for those pastries by trying to make my dinners as healthy as possible, low in calories and full of vegetables like this Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry. Having to cook for my little nephews, I also feel a responsibility to give them a healthy meal to help them grow big and strong and hopefully not too fussy (a battle I might be losing with the little one, even though I'm still fighting).
Although my two-year-old nephew can be a picky eater, he has always liked curry and chili con carne as well, so it's one of my healthy dinner recipes when I want to make sure he's eating right.
This chicken and sweet potato curry has only 365 calories per serving (excluding rice) and contains fruits and vegetables. If you decide to add rice, increase the calories per serving to 630 (which is still not too bad). However, quite often I eat chicken and sweet potato curry without rice and feel satisfied.
To make this Chicken Sweet Potato Curry, I like to make my own korma paste using my recipe. However, it will also work well using a commercially available jar of pasta, which I used to do until I started making my own pasta recipe.
Other easy recipes to make >> Pork loin with brandy
The korma paste is very smooth (but still full of flavor) and is perfect for making these dishes for my family as they don't like overly spicy food. However, if you want it to be a bit spicier, it also works well with other spicier curry pastes.
Another advantage of this chicken and sweet potato curry recipe is that it is suitable for freezing, so you can cook a large batch in advance and only have to defrost it when you need it.
How to prepare the Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
Prep Time: 5 minutes / Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 700 g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 700 g sweet potato
- ½ tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon korma paste (or a 165g jar of korma paste)
- 1 cebolla
- 400 g of chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml water
- Make the korma paste (if you are not going to use the one from the market).
- Chop the onion finely.
- Heat the sunflower oil (½ tablespoon) in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken thighs (700 g) into small pieces.
- Once the onion has softened, add the chicken thighs to the skillet.
- Increase the heat to medium and continue cooking until the outside of the chicken has browned.
- Stir regularly to ensure meat is evenly browned.
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes (700 g) and cut them into small cubes (approximately 1,5 cm).
- Once the chicken has browned, add the korma paste, chopped tomatoes (400 g can), sweet potato and water (250 ml) and stir.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft and the water is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper.
If you are reheating from frozen, first make sure it is completely thawed in the fridge and is piping hot before serving. If the curry starts to look dry when reheating, add a little water to prevent burning.