The recipe I share today is for a Lamb kofta tagine and eggs. This name comes from Arabic, as it is a typical food preparation in North Africa. The tajine is a fired and enameled clay container, which is made up of a deep plate with a funnel-shaped lid. But if we don't have it, don't worry, this recipe can also be cooked in a common casserole, the kind we have at home, with a lid.
This recipe for Lamb and Egg Koftas Tajine is healthy and tasty, like all Arabic food, it has an exquisite aroma and its sauce is very pleasant to the palate.
This recipe for our own lamb koftas tajine to prepare in the autumn and winter months, as we need some time indoors to prepare it. And normally in the summer we do grilled lamb, which is much easier to do outdoors. But we already change the season, and with it, even the way we cook our food changes.
Other recipes with tajine >> Lamb tagine with chestnuts and pomegranate
Kofta is a kind of meatball, a little more seasoned than what we are used to making in this part of the world. As we said, it is a recipe that takes some time to prepare, but the result is worth it.
How to Prepare Lamb Koftas and Eggs Tajine
- 500 gr ground lamb meat
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 gr crushed tomato
- 1 small onion cut into julienne
- 2 dientes de ajo chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- We place the meat in a bowl, season to taste and also add the rest of the ingredients for the kofta.
- Mix well and form meatballs the size of a ping pong ball or golf ball.
- We reserve the lamb meatballs to continue with the rest of the preparation.
- We put on the fire the base of the tajine or the saucepan that we are going to use.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil, sauté the garlic first and the onion later.
- Once the onion and garlic are golden brown, add the seasonings of the sauce.
- Sauté for a few seconds and add the crushed tomato.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, so that the preparation mixes well and takes in all the aroma of the seasonings. The tomato must be well cooked so that it does not taste raw.
- Then, carefully, we arrange the koftas (meatballs) in the sauce and cover the tajine or the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. We must always watch if the meat is cooked before this time. This depends on the size of the koftas.
- Once the koftas are cooked, remove the lid from the tajine or the saucepan and put the eggs inside; leaving space between them so that they are not joined by the clearing.
- Cover again and cook until we see that the egg white is well cooked.
- To finish we sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve.
It is always good that we taste the food when it is practically ready, as this helps us rectify the flavors. And so, if you have to add a little salt or another seasoning, we have time to add it and leave it for a few more minutes on the fire.
As you will see, it is a recipe that takes a little more elaboration, but you will like this mixture of seasonings that we do not normally use in our kitchen. If we accompany this preparation with a good wine, we already have the entire dinner ready.
If you liked this recipe for Lamb Kofta Tajine and Eggs, do not stop sharing it on social networks.